"It is not merely of some importance but is of fundamental importance that justice should not only be done,
but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done.
"

- Lord Chief Justice Hewart

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Wolf Among Sheep

Word goes around really fast. Even when I am not looking for them and minding my own business. I heard from a couple of sources that there was a scandal in a church which I attended while back in Melbourne, Australia. It sounded so absurd and against the nature of what I expected, assumed of the people in that church.

Being the person that I am, I had to find out for myself it was true. Sadly enough, it was.

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

I just found it really hard to believe because during the time I was there, he showed no signs of illness whatsoever. However this con, as I was told only began after I left Australia. The more I thought about it, the more my disbelief and disappointment subsided and slowly grew into amusement. My thoughts shifted to the fanboys/girls who were crazy about that group. At first I was thinking how shocked and devastated they would have felt upon hearing the news. Of course my mind did not just stop there. I then proceeded to think that some of these blindly loyal fans would somewhat be in either in denial or "idiotic optimism" for a lack of better word. Perhaps it was both. Perhaps they both could just be categorized as denial. I am not really sure, have not done much deeper thought into it. Perhaps it would be deliberate ignorance? Perhaps... bigotry?

My mind calculated possibilities of reactions from these fanboys and one of the more popular and cliche outcomes would be some people trying their best to look at the good side of what happened. Ellipsis. I shudder in disgust when one of the fansites actually commented to the effects of trying to justify that the song written, as well as the whole charade, brought more people to know God and also touched the hearts of many. Something like, that was more important and that was all that counted.

Uh... no? I do not think so?

Agreeing with that, would mean that it is acceptable to use deception, to use deceit to trick people into joining the faith. To stir people's emotions using an extravagant act. This not only shows a skewered and twisted perception of the faith. It also makes a mockery, an insult to the faith. You do not draw people to your beliefs via deceptions. Giving false testimony is a sin. A sin is a wrong doing that goes against the principles of the faith. How different is it if I were to threaten to kill a man unless he accepted my beliefs? Sad to say, that you cannot justify your means. You people who are in denial, who have "idiotic optimism", please wake up. Please open your eyes. Please see that a sin is a sin. Anything that is done with sin, from sin will never bring honor.

Which again reminds me of the ignorant bigots that are in churches today. I would like to generalize people of all faith, but I do not have sufficient exposure and experiences with them, so I will only relate to one which I have well experienced. All you people who gather in churches doing your rituals. You make Jesus sad. All of you who attend concerts, buy merchandise, "congregate" and have "fellowship" amongst yourselves. You sing songs but that is all you do. They should make songs where they sing about keeping to themselves and ignoring other people. Perhaps then they could really sing those songs with all their heart like they meant it.

0 response[s]: