"It is not merely of some importance but is of fundamental importance that justice should not only be done,
but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done.
"

- Lord Chief Justice Hewart

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Kung Pao In The Face

I really have the shittiest of luck when it comes to being adventurous with food. I just came back from trying out a relatively new cafe on the ground floor in the same block of my office, where it is a few doors away from the corner lot of San Fransisco Steakhouse.

The interiors from outside looked decent. I decide to take a look at the menu display. The price ranged around RM10 for all of their meals which were mostly all local stuff. Who would pay RM8 for some Fried Kuay Teow!? I noticed they had a western section and thought of giving their Chicken Chop a try. It stating that it came with choice of gravy, accompanied by coleslaw and fries was not really assuring. RM14 for just that? It had better be huge.

The waitress passed me the menu only for me to see a big 'N/A' slapped across the western food section of it.

I quickly glanced around to find something that would be more familiar to me when I caught the Paprika Chicken rice. I was given the impression it would be some sort of chicken dish with pepper involved and would be something similar to black pepper sauce. What arrived on my table in good time was something that looked exactly like Kung Pao Kai Fun. I felt cheated. RM10 for a plate of Kung Pao Chicken rice. I felt I was paying more for their deco than anything else. The portion they gave was slightly more than what you would get these days at a place that has dai chow and they would be more or less RM5.

Brings into perspective that the 'economy' mixed rice really lives up to its name now. RM10 could have bought me a McDonald's value meal with something extra.

0 response[s]: