"It is not merely of some importance but is of fundamental importance that justice should not only be done,
but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done.
"

- Lord Chief Justice Hewart

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I do not spend time with liars or go along with hypocrites. - Psalm 24:6

I have been troubled for a few days over a topic which I have often revisited and ponder on for hours and days on end. The Christians in church. I believe I have bitched about this same topic before. However I also believed that what I wrote before was not that great of an impact. People may have probably read it and went "He ain't talking about me!" Well today I will make it clear, that I am addressing all of you Christians. All of you who go to church every weekend to sing songs to God, listen to His words. I actually just summarized all that you do every weekend. Sure you can go into detail about how you go to church to rehearse before the actual service, have "fellowship" with friends. What else?

At this point some of them are probably thinking that is not true and that they also go for cell/caregroups and their Youth Fellowship at college/highschool. It is just added quantity of the same quality.

I hate, I despise your religious feasts;
I cannot stand your assemblies.

Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them.

Though you bring choice fellowship offerings,
I will have no regard for them.

Away with the noise of your songs!
I will not listen to the music of your harps.

But let justice roll on like a river,
righteousness like a never-failing stream!

Did you bring me sacrifices and offerings
forty years in the desert, O house of Israel?

Amos 5:21-25

This was contributed by Ewokie as he too shares the similar distaste and gave his piece of mind via the passage which he strongly believes.

I noticed that the younger generation of Christians today are all about the latest Christian music, the latest album by the current popular group. Their latest concert, their merchandise. They get together sing the same songs which is the medium of helping them get along together. The thing in common they have which serves as an excuse to hang out together. Some of these people can even play musical instruments and play those music that they have listened together. Sounds pretty fun right? But that's just it. It is fun. They do it because its fun. Do they even think for one second what they are singing, what they are playing, what the song is about, who is the song for? They will be able to answer you that. But they do not necessarily put forth any true feelings when singing those songs. It has come to the point it is more like a ritual that they do, for the sake of doing. Weekend in, weekend out. Same things. With the occasional concerts which they all go to, to sing and dance and feel good about themselves.

Where are the words of God? Where are the beliefs for practice? Where are the actions to put forth and lead by example to the world? Sing and listen on weekends and that is it? Go to Youth Fellowship on Fridays, listen and get into the 'zone' for those hours and that is it? Everything else on every other day it is all about how fun they are having with their lives, with their friends or how tragic their lives are with all their problems. Not once do these people practice what they have learnt through scripture. Not once have they ever testify how the teachings that I assume they have learnt have been put to good use. Especially now, the days of the internet, I do not hear about how their faith and knowledge in their beliefs have helped them or not even hear any reviews and reflections they have on life.

I am not surprised at all and I do not feel sympathetic when people who are not Christians, criticize us Christians about our shortcomings about the things we do that are a nuisance to others. They do not even understand themselves and yet they want to go telling others on how they should live? Come on!

You Christians who weekend in, weekend out do the same rituals you do, keep to your own circle not wanting to have anything to do with others who do not share your views and interests. It has become like a clique, a society. You talk about the latest songs, the latest albums like commercial consumers.

You who get baptized who proclaim to people that you are Christians do nothing for others. Think nothing of others. Only keeping to yourselves. Showing others around you like-minded as you how good and holy you are... by doing nothing.

Matthew 6:1-18
You who do good deeds to be admired by others. You who pray in public places where everybody can see you. You who fast and act as if it is difficult that other people will admire you. Hypocrites.

Matthew 23
You who dress up to go Church and behave oh so friendly, cheerful and proper. You who give tithing but neglect the important teachings. You who look righteous and pure on the outside but are filthy and rotten on the inside.

These are among the main reasons why I choose to no longer associate myself with the place I grew up in, where people turned their backs on me. The place where superficiality and artificiality fester and thrive.

1 response[s]:

Yeelian said...

Hey : )

Yes, I do agree with you that as Christians, we do have shortcomings. We are human after all, in no way are we perfect.

Sure, The Youth nowadays get really excited over new music out by Hillsong/PS.. etc. Well, this comes from it actually being very available. It's always easy to get disillusioned and to sing songs without actually worshipping, it's an ongoing process of learning and getting to know God better. Striving to reach that next level of worship and offering to God is a challenge that we have to take.

I hope you won't judge all the Youth based on a few people : ) I know many of them who are actually on fire and all out for serving our God Almighty!

Peace. Just my two-cents worth of thoughts.