"It is not merely of some importance but is of fundamental importance that justice should not only be done,
but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done.
"

- Lord Chief Justice Hewart

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Logitech Love

While surfing the web for ideas and inspiration on designs at work. I came across not one, not two... but three new Logitech products. I think at least one out of three of them have already been released but I doubt it would be available in Malaysia yet.

They are... *drum roll* the
Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech G51 Speakers

Let us start with the mouse.


It is awesome! Why is it awesome? Because it has incorporated all the cool features of previous Logitech mice into a single product. Thank God I did not rush to buy the MX Revolution. Its main features I am going crazy over are the 'free scroll' function, the ability to add more weight to the mouse, its scroll wheel being able to 'scroll' horizontally and the feature of adding on a different type of grip. Apparently you can add/remove a 'grip' which adds to the width of the mouse which alleges more comfort. Removing it simply makes your mouse the slim/normal form for those people who dislike bulkiness.

Now on to the keyboard.


Well I am not sure why I was interested in the first place. The more I think about it, I realize it is not that much different from my current G15 v1. Firstly it does not have blue illumination anymore so boo. They also did away with the dial for controlling volume which I think was cool. They replaced it with just a volume up and down button respectively. Also it does not have a flip open LCD screen anymore, rather just a screen embedded on top of the keyboard. I guess they want it to be less bulky and more space conscious. I can totally give this a miss.

Finally the sounds!


Initially I do not prioritize sound quality. Or rather it was never high on my list. Until I got my X-Fi soundcard. Also being exposed to my dad's hifi stereo system. As hard as I try to adjust the settings for my X-Fi going through my old Logitech 6.1 speakers, there was just something not quite right. The speakers was just not adequate enough to provide the sound quality I desired. I have keen sense when it comes to details in graphics and sound. A factor to being able to play music by ear efficiently. Reading about the new upcoming G51 made me go "that will be what I am replacing my currents speakers with". Each of its satellite speakers seem to have a high and low sound transmitter as opposed to the previous generation speakers having only one transmitter, like mine. What really made me excited was the front middle speak being able to be mounted on the monitor like the new webcams that were made to clip onto flatscreen monitors. Woohoo! About time somebody thought of that. My current middle front speaker is designed to be placed either on top of a monitor with a wide surface or on the floor.

Why you may ask that I got this 6.1 in the first place? True story. While I was in Melbourne, I needed speakers for my computer there, so I went to a nearby store. I wanted to get a simple 2.1 set when I saw its price being quite ridiculously expensive. Then I saw this 6.1 that the store was trying to get rid of, which was 1/3 the price of a new 2.1. To me it sounded like a great deal. After a couple of years of experience only now I realize that you really do get what you pay for and more speakers do not necessarily mean better. However I needed speakers anyway because I blew up the speakers on my Sony mini hifi system right before I left for Australia. If I ever get my hands on these G51... I will give the 6.1 to my dad and hook it up for him to the dvd player or television. Of course he will repeat that my 6.1 is never a match for his stereo hifi system. Durh. However I use my speakers for other things than just listening to music. So you cannot really make comparisons like that. I do admit though when it comes to music sound quality, it still is somewhat unsatisfying. May the mouse and speakers be birthday and Christmas presents I get for myself!

[Images were linked from nordichwardware.com]

0 response[s]: