"It is not merely of some importance but is of fundamental importance that justice should not only be done,
but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done.
"

- Lord Chief Justice Hewart

Friday, August 24, 2007

Citizens!

I can understand people who will not take the time out of their busy lives to help a stranger in need. With all the dishonest people out there trying to deceive innocent people out of their possessions. What is wrong with the country we live in today?

Has gaining material possessions become so highly sought after that causing others grief a worthwhile? I would not consider myself to have been brought up properly by those who should be responsible of doing so. I am not blaming them either. However I want to point out that despite having little guidance or lack thereof in life, I still managed to think for myself in terms of living day to day without having the intentions of wanting to benefit myself at the cost of others’ inconvenience.

A while back, I was challenged with this question, “Would you help a stranger you see along your way?” I wish I could quickly responded positively but then second thoughts came in where some people pretend to be in need and once they manage to secure a victim, would mercilessly rob them or even worse things. These days with so many crimes being reported in the news. It only makes people more aware of how cruel the world can be. It makes everyone more alert and even paranoid to the extent where they will not trust anybody in the streets even when the strangers obviously pose no threat. How can one be a good Samaritan without the thought of getting jumped? And the only ‘wrong’ the Samaritan did was go out of their way to help the supposed person in need.

The older people who can influence the young should educate them in becoming good and respectful citizens. Letting them know the reasons and consequences of their actions. As weak as it sounds, children do remember words of older ones especially their parents. Assuming these kids are intelligent and actually use their brains once in a while. If the kids do not listen to their parents’ wisdom, then the parents fail in educating their children in proper ways and respect.

My close friends will know that I often reiterate that I do my best to live by the saying “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” If one looks at the sentence deeply, one will find many aspects as to how it will benefit one’s self as well as one’s relationship with others. This is the part where I become a jerk and will not elaborate further. However those who are interested in knowing more of what I say are always welcomed to message me.

Another good saying that I actually learnt from a movie is “Be The Miracle”. It is from the movie Bruce Almighty. If everyone would actually start thinking about helping others, the world would be a much better place. Also quoting from one of the books I read years ago about romantic relationships. There is no such thing as finding the right person. Instead it should be _being the right person_. The reason why the world today is deteriorating ethically is due to almost everybody thinking of themselves. Thinking as to how benefit themselves and only themselves. If you are nice to others they will be nice in return. Except for some ungrateful assholes and bitches. Also if you are unpleasant to others, they will respond in kind.

How then can we make other people’s lives around us a little bit better? For starters you could greet people you see or even say thank you when they help you with stuff. It may not sound like a big deal, but the kind thoughts will power the gesture and it will be felt by the recipient and in turn create a synergy between the both of you which in turn will develop a better relationship. Although it may sound weird coming from me, but smiling is a very powerful ability. When you smile, others will smile in reflex. I used to have to smile whenever I meet anybody in Australia because that is how their culture is; being polite to everyone regardless of personal issues if any with the other. Guys, open doors for girls and let them walk first. Girls, be ladylike and give guys some ‘face’ and let them perform their role as gentlemen. Its like I am already programmed to always let girls go first whether its queuing to enter an elevator or through a doorway.

Coming back to Malaysia just sucked out all the positive’ness I accumulated while in Australia. So now I am more annoyed with the general populace in this country. Hmm maybe that is somewhat too large of a scope. I should say the people that I come across.

0 response[s]: